Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Bound through the Fold

            Life is still scary.  There are new fears and old fears and fears that I take from other people and lay out on my lap at night.  But I feel good, despite how scary everything is.
            I tend to be an optimist, but sometimes the darkness gets me down.  Finding little lights every day, I grasp and try to hold on to them forever.  Sometimes they stay with me, well-wishes next to my heart, and sometimes they fall onto paper and drift underfoot to the boxes under my bed.
            I have all sorts of tools of nostalgia—journals and photos and "happy boxes" full of plastic spoons and ticket-stubs.  I run on manufacturing good nostalgia.
            "Bucket lists" have become really popular over the last few years, but they unsettle me a little.  I don't want to do things because someday the sky will explode or something.  So I just call them "goals".  No particular reason behind them.  Just a long list of goals.
            Apparently I started my goal notebook off in 2010, and those were a bit rough, but I have to admit that it kept me up.  There are a lot of things I've done, accomplishments that I would easily let myself forget, if not for those little Xs.

X Become vegetarian
X Give people hugs voluntarily
X Submit something to Chasms
X Pass on the "Lean on Me" color guard tradition
X If you like someone, tell them!
X Join and compete in Academic Decathlon
X Make paper snowflakes
X Make a self-portrait
X Attend a star party

            Now I add more things to the list than I cross off, but it makes me smile anyway.  From things that seem trivial to things that seem really important, I like looking forward to things.  The future is in rainbow colored pen.  

Get my whole face painted
Meet the Green brothers
Describe my perfect day w/out $$ and live it
Make a snow angel
Go to the 2013 Yule Ball
Take a spur-of-the-moment-trip-to-anywhere—choose a direction and go
Visit Yellowstone
See the northern lights
Light sparklers w/ someone

            Do one thing that makes you smile today.  

DFTBA

No comments:

Post a Comment