Thursday, May 23, 2013

Class of 2013

            Graduation has sneaked up on me and scared me into hiccups.  I turn around and look at it, at once solid and mist.  The mist, the happiness I hope for and the bad I hope to leave behind.  The solid, faces.  Some are smaller than others, some misty where I have forgotten what their nose looks like.
             In eighth grade, my English teacher made us put together Pringles cans filled with our "diary" entries from the year as a time-capsule.  At the time, I thought it was a dumb idea.  For all I know, it might be.  There's poetry all around the outside in my favorite red pen, which basically defines my eighth grade year, and Supernatural pictures pressed up to cover the clear lid.  I was a Tumblr kid waiting to happen.  The one thing we had to promise (we raised our right hand and everything) was not to open it until graduation.  At the time, it felt impossible that it would ever come, but here it is.  June 4th, my last day.
            I'm not really worried about the mist.  It will come, and it will go, but I'm worried about the solidity of high school.  I saw the same people all of the time.  Mostly I'm afraid to leave and have to take my own initiative to build or break relationships.  My literary magazine class is actually the one I never want to leave.  All of the people are the best, but I haven't become quick friends, and now we have a week.  For some people, friendship is possible in a week, but I kinda wish I could just shut off my shyness for that final push into the abyss of friendship muahahahahaaaa....
            I'll go off to the University of Utah and meet all new people.  A new beginning is exciting.  A new beginning is terrifying.  I may see the occasional student from Copper Hills, and maybe I'll become someone ~hip enough~ to go on casual lunch dates just because.
            It's kind of a big pit of spaghetti that I will have to wade through.  I'll just have to get pasta-ll my fears. Accept the awkward!  Glomp it!
            I might as well embrace my todays and embrace my tomorrows as they come.  Because they're coming!  And it will all be okay.

Don't forget to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment